Sunday, October 12, 2014

4. The Commute

On the Millennium Line to Surrey
I have to commute to Surrey every month to attend a meeting. It takes 50 minutes on the skytrain from Downtown to Surrey Central. Funnily enough, I feel most like I am living in a big city while on this commute! As the train speeds past East Vancouver, through the suburban landscapes of Burnaby and New Westminister and, at the spectacular sight of the Pattulo Bridge, crosses the Fraser River into the city of Surrey, I am always reminded of the equally labourious  commutes I had on the subway in London or the MTR in Hong Kong. I can't say I look forward to the journey exactly but somehow I enjoy this illusion of being in the "big city" and the metropolitan memories it conjures in its wake.

No comments:

Post a Comment